Sunday, March 10, 2013

Getting Bigger

I am working with an agency called Madison Cares for my internship.  I am getting an autism support group going in our community and promoting autism awareness.  April is National Autism Awareness month.  At our last support group meeting  I proposed that we do something to promote/support autism awareness during the month of April.  Someone suggested we make some posters about autism and put them up in public places.  OK... then someone suggested watching a movie or clip about what autism is.... OK.... It has now turned into the "Community Autism Awareness Event".  The  public library is letting me use their community room.  They are also putting up a display during the month of April about Autism and featuring all their materials on the subject. On April 2nd  I have 6 different agencies coming for an "open house" from 6 till 7, setting up displays and simulations about autism.  Then we are watching the movie Temple Grandin, at 7, and Madison Cares is providing free popcorn and water bottles.  I am really excited about this event and hope to get a good turnout.  I am meeting with a newspaper rep. this week for an interview about our support group and this event.  It has gotten a lot bigger than I am completely comfortable with, but I hope it is a good community activity and helps to educate people. 

2 comments:

  1. Not many leaders are comfortable with their roles, but, they cant stand being on the sidelines either. Is it an issue that stirs inside you? or is this just a school requirement? what is the thing that is most needed ie Research on causes or prevention, creating parent support groups, autistic charter schools, a home schooling network, private tutors, clubs for autistic kids, what are you guys all about? Im asking cause I dont know anything about your group. Scott

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I typed out a long reply, then lost it! Basically autism is a big part of my life, and I sometimes feel very alone because of it. I want others to understand that people with autism are not scary and that they have a lot to offer. I want my sons (and others with autism) to be accepted and to find success in their lives and I think awareness is a big step in that direction. Our little parent support group is a very small step, but we learn from each other, gather resources, and it is nice to know that there are others who are going through the same stresses, fears, joys, etc... I think the thing that is most needed is research to find out what causes autism, and how to help autists to be happy and successful.

      Delete