Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Autism Awareness Event

Today is World Autism Awareness Day.  As part of my internship I put together a community autism awareness event with representatives from 5 agencies, autism simulation activities, and the movie "Temple Grandin".  We gave out blue glow sticks to "Light it up Blue" for autism.  We had just over 50 people show up, which I thought was rather successful, since I didn't know how many to expect.  I had 20 student volunteers helping with the activities, making popcorn, and helping with set-up and clean-up.  It was a fun evening, but I'm glad it is over!  The worst part was when we had to evacuate the building and the firemen came in all their gear because the popcorn machine was smoky and set off the fire alarm.....   all kinds of fun and adventure was had!  (That's twice in one month that I sort of caused buildings to be evacuated!)





2 comments:

  1. Tara, that's awesome! I knew it would come off big! You are a natural leader and fun maker...and you should be getting used to your events being accompanied by fire drills! Ha-Ha!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything you do has some kind of adventure attached! It will be remembered right?! I'm glad it went well!

    ReplyDelete