Sunday, December 7, 2008

Time for the Tree

Our family has a fun tradition of going up in the woods on the day after Thanksgiving, and cutting down our Christmas tree.  Usually there are sleds and hot cocoa involved.  Due to a number of circumstances, we did not have this fun (?) experience this year.  Emily and I went down to Albertsons and shoved a tree into the back of the van and hauled it home.  A few days ago, we put the lights on it, but didn't have time for any decorations.  Finally, this afternoon we were all home, and we put the ornaments on.  This is one of my favorite parts of Christmas.  Every year, since we have been married, each family member gets a "special" ornament for the tree.  It usually represents something that they accomplished, learned, or experienced.  I love to get out these ornaments and remember the times that each one represents.  I'm having a hard time coming up with ornaments for this year, though.  It seems that we are so busy just getting from day to day, that we haven't been taking time for the "good stuff".  Or, maybe I just need to find more "good stuff" in the everyday experiences. 

2 comments:

  1. I love your ornament tradition. I can imagine how fun that must be to pull out all the ornaments and walk down memory lane.

    When I was a child we cut down our tree every year. Then I went to buying a fresh cut tree. Now I have a fake tree (which I swore I would never have). And I love it.

    I'm glad your tree is up and adorned!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean by things being crazy! Sometimes it is hard to stop and take a moment to just be with your family when there are so many things to do this time of year.
    I love your ornament tradition. I've always wanted to start that tradition with my family, but each year it seems to get forgotten.

    ReplyDelete