Thursday, June 5, 2008

A Special Gift - Jacob's Big Day



Last night, we were given a special gift. I have to go back in time to explain.
Fourteen years ago, our first child, Jacob was born. All parents feel that their child is special, but I knew that there was something "extra" about Jacob. When he was 3 years old, he was diagnosed with autism. At that time he threw tantrums, screamed, banged his head, and did not communicate or respond to us. Our hearts were broken... it was as if we had lost our boy.
Last night, Jacob graduated from Middle School. He takes regular classes, and excells in them. He is happy. He is smart, funny, and talented. He definitely has hard times and acts "socially unacceptable". His class is wonderful and supportive.
At the ceremony last night, there was a "slide show" where each student was shown, along with a sentence that told what they want to do during high school. Some pictures got laughs, all got applause. When Jacob's picture came up, the entire 8th grade jumped to their feet, yelling and cheering. I don't think there was a dry eye in the building. I'll never forget the way I felt. I've had tears leaking from my eyes since then.
Autism has brought many tears throughout the years, but last night they were tears of gratitude and love and pride. I'm so thankful for the love and support of our friends and family. I don't know if those kids will ever know how they have touched our family, but the gift they gave to Jacob and our family will never be forgotten!!!

5 comments:

  1. That goes double for me. I was stunned by the outburst. It was an awesome moment in time. I still feel suspended in that moment. Our family is so blessed and lucky to have Jacob as part of our lives and to witness these miracles. --Jacob's Gramma

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so sweet. Thanks for making me cry! That's awesome that he can mainstream into normal classes. That's my wish for Chase someday.
    These boys are a such a special gift from God.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so proud of Jacob, as well as you and Tony, too! What a terrific family to belong to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! That must have felt so great! The way that we worry over our kids, especially when they have hard times... a reward like that is a little miracle. I'm crying too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mom e-mailed me last night. It made me cry. Gifts come in the strangest moments don't they. What an awesome night! We're so proud of Jacob!

    ReplyDelete