Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Apples and Such


I've been busy painting this week, so nothing else is getting done.  In a few weeks I am going to help with a little class where we are teaching some ladies how to can apple pie filling.  Here is my mom's recipe.  I just printed it up, so I thought I might as well post it for the rest of you who are trying to preserve apples.  For anyone who wants to come to the class, it will be on the 21'st, at 6:30pm, at the LDS church.  Enjoy!


Canned Apple Pie Filling   - Karren McLean
  1. Fill 7 quart jars with peeled, sliced apples. (To prevent browning, I place apples in a large bowl with cold water and lemon juice, as I peel.)
  2. In a large kettle, bring 9 cups of water and 3-1/2 cups sugar to a boil
  3. In a large bowl, mix together the following:
    • 1 c. sugar
    • 1 c. cornstarch
    • ½ tsp. nutmeg
    • 2 tsp cinnamon
    • ½ tsp. cloves
    • 1 tsp. almond extract
    • 1 c. cold water
    • 1 tsp. salt
    • 3 Tbsp. lemon juice
  1. Stir sugar mixture(#3) into hot liquid(#2).
  2. Cook until it turns clear.
  3. Pour hot liquid over the apples in the jars.  Leave about ½ in. at the top.
  4. Wipe jar rims clean.
  5. Place lids and rings on jars.
  6. Place jars in a boiling water bath.
  7. Process for 25 minutes. 
 One jar of pie filling can be poured into an UNBAKED pie shell.  Then I either put another crust on top, or use a crumb topping.  Bake uncovered at 350* until the crust turns a nice brown color. (about 25 min.)
You can pour one jar of pie filling into a greased, 9in. square pan, and top with your favorite apple crisp topping.  Then bake at 350 for about 15-20 min.
We also like this topping heated in a pan on the stove, and poured over hot pancakes or waffles.  It also makes a yummy ice cream topping. 

5 comments:

  1. Sounds soooo good right now (I get the munchies late at night). I hope to make it to the class!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you quilt and can!!! what can't you do tara thats what i want to know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know what Tara, I just got the best idea! We need a RS blog to post all the commings and goings. Now that you have the ear of the RS pres as Compassionate Service Leader maybe you could suggest it? I'd be willing to do it... it would be even easier if a member of the pres. did it because they would already have the details for everything. It would make it so easy for primary and YW leaders to stay up to date. They could even contribute for goodness sake!

    What do we need to bring- a supply list?- for the class?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! I love Fall! Apple desserts, and pumkin! So much for losing that 30lbs!:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I should go, for Joe. he loves apple pie, and me being the hateful wife that I am I've only made it once. :)

    ReplyDelete