Monday, May 12, 2008

Mothers Day - Love It or Hate It

This is my not-so-lovely kitchen after the kids and Tony made a lovely breakfast in bed for me.

Mothers Day brings a wide variety of emotions; love, pride, guilt, surprise, disappointement, and hope, are a few things that I felt yesterday.

Love brought tears to my eyes as I lay in bed, listening to my children and husband "quietly" preparing heart shaped pancakes and eggs for my breakfast in bed. Pride, when I learned that Jacob mixed and cooked pancakes all by himself. (Laughter when I found he cooked them on low heat, taking about 20 minutes to cook each pancake!) Guilt rose up when I thought of all the mistakes I make, and the times that I make my children frustrated. Disappointment surged when I only had 45 minutes to get ready for church, (because I had to stay in bed while the pancakes were cooking, so I didn't spoil their "surprise" breakfast in bed) and saw that I would have to clean the kitchen after all the cooking. But mostly I felt hope. I have hope that I can do a little better, that despite my faults, my kids know that I love them. I have hope that I can raise my children to be good, independent people. When I look at my kids, I have hope that this world isn't as bad as it looks on the evening news, and if we all try to make our own little corner a little better, the whole world will be a brighter place.

2 comments:

  1. I know what you mean about Mother's Day. My Mom and Dad spoke in their ward on Mother's day, and my mom said she spoke about the love hate relationship that most women have with the day. It seems like James is always working on Mother's day, so I try not to get my hopes up too high. That way I don't get too disappointed. But my Mom's point in her talk was that we need a day to show gratitude to and for Mothers because of how devalued motherhood is in the world. I guess it's one more example of how we have to be teachers by letting our kids and husbands try and not always get it quite right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heart shaped pancakes! How fun. I too got to clean up some mother's day dishes from dinner the next morning. I thought about saving them for Damon (which wouldn't have been a bad thing), but then realized how much easier it would be just to do it myself (not sure that's the best reason). He does make a good chicken alfredo dinner!

    ReplyDelete