Thursday, September 4, 2008

It'll cost how much?!?!

The kids have started school, and since our district has such lousy funding, everything costs. I just wrote out a check for $100 for Jacob's "fees" to attend school, and both of the other kids informed me that their lunch accounts need a boost. Lunches cost $2.50 each... X three kids = $7.50/day = $150/month... just for lunch! Erik told me that he has to pay a "locker fee" and "planner/ID card fee" by tomorrow. Both the boys have to have extra shoes for gym, that must stay at the school, and in Emily's class, they are having the parents each "donate" a month's worth of snacks. I thought our taxes were supposed to cover this!! We also have a vacation's worth of credit card charges to pay off, and Jacob broke a tooth eating dinner tonite!! I try very hard to plan a budget and stick to it... but, all the "unplanned" expenses keep throwing me off. I need to plan more for the unplanned!!! Why can't the world revolve around my plans and expectations?

4 comments:

  1. I feel your pain! Our 7 year old fridge died over the weekend and we had to buy a new one. Of course, I wanted the "high end" stainless steal french door one. :) $2500 later and there goes our Thanksgiving trip to Disneyland. Oh well. Maybe next year! That sucks your taxes don't cover much for school fee's, etc. Our kids school lunches are $1.75 per kid. Not as much as you, but still too much for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try all that x3 in high school! Sport fee's and each class they take seems to require a fee. And I haven't even paid for their year books which are $40 each! (3 of them) I am a regular at the school office each month paying them some kind of fee. So much for FREE education. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. If the kids don't actually eat you out of house and home, they will take your money other ways.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Uhggg! That hurts! The school system here really needs some help in my opinion. I'm just amazed at some of the things that aren't available here because of funding. There are a lot of wonderful and dedicated teachers and such, but no marching band? In a town that has parades constantly? And no orchestra? Those are just a few of the things I've noticed, but Kelsie's only in first grade!

    ReplyDelete