Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Summer's Final Fruits

With autumn sneaking in the door, I had to take a few pictures of my summer friends. I have to admit that the yard work is getting tedious, and I am looking forward to putting away the lawnmower. But I know that in a few months I'll be sick of cold and snow, so I try to keep my plants from freezing, as long as possible.

I love this Dahlia... the pinks and yellows blend in such a beautiful way. This plant was a splurge last spring, and I have to say it was well worth it!






My pumpkin plants did especially well this year, and I have 5 large pumpkins turning orange! One for each of us to carve for Halloween. They choked out my cucumbers and zuchini, but they are fine looking pumpkins!!






This is one of 8 giant sunflowers that the kids and I planted. They are about 10-12 feet tall, and the heads are between 12-20 inches across! We are excited to try drying and eating some of the seeds. I think we'll leave most of them out for the birds and squirrels to eat during the winter. It's just so much easier to go to the store and buy a nice, packaged bag of sunflower seeds... but... we do have to try doing it ourselves... just for the fun of it!!

2 comments:

  1. Love the dahlia! I need to stop by and get a tour of your garden!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've also dreamed of touring the garden. :) I told Joe he needs to get over to your house, but trust me, no one, not even me, wants to be near him right now. He's been banished to another room. My garden is getting bedded down.

    ReplyDelete