Thursday, September 6, 2012

Directing Traffic

Today I worked all day at the campus bookstore.  Usually I work at a cash register, and take money from folks buying books and supplies.  Today they had me doing something different.... directing traffic.  Basically there is one main waiting line, and from there I am supposed to send people to the registers.  Ideally I try to have 2 or 3 people waiting at each register.  This system keeps things moving pretty quickly and prevents "traffic jams" in the store.  However there is no one to explain to all the buyers that they need to get into the main line, so people kept jumping ahead and "cutting" into the shorter register lines.  I lost my voice from shouting "the line starts over here" all day.  Those who have been on campus before have learned the "system" and know it is much more fair and efficient than just having everyone jumping into lines, but there are a lot of first-timers on campus making it much more difficult than it needs to be.  I am grateful for the good attitudes and friendly chatting with most of the customers, and I choose to not let the few stinkers get to me. 

On another note, we got Jacob his own cell phone today.  We need to be able to reach him, and have be able to reach us while he is at school.  I am excited for him... I already called him... from the living room..... while he was in the kitchen!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment