Sunday, October 14, 2012

Service

I really like to help people.  Part of that is selfish, because I enjoy being needed, and I like the feelings that I get when people are grateful for me.  I see so many needs around me, and am not able to do everything that I want to... I try to encourage others to help meet some of the needs I see, and usually people are kind and thoughtful, and try to help.  However, there are times when no one but myself shows up at a service project, and that is so discouraging.  Not only am I not able to meet all the needs by myself, (or just with my family) but I know that others are missing out on the chance to make friends, to make the world better, and to become more Christ-like.  So many of us hide inside our own personal activities and concerns, that we miss the bigger picture, and miss out on the amazing experiences and relationships that are all around us, if we will but open our eyes and our hearts. 

1 comment:

  1. I'm also sad when I am the only one who shows up at a service project, not because I'm left to do all of the work myself, but because others can't or don't want to do it.

    ReplyDelete