Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Visiting Widows

I spent a great deal of my day today, taking a little Halloween treat to the widows in my ward.  My sweet compassionate service leader was good enough to make a  treat and note for us to deliver, and one of my counselors took the time to go with me.  It was so fun to visit with the little old ladies of my ward!  One of my favorites is named Dot and she is 94 years old.  She was out mowing her lawn last week, and is now working on raking and bagging her leaves.  She is a strong, stubborn, independent lady with a memory that is sharp  as a tack.  She is losing her eyesight, has a weak heart, and her jaw is being eaten away by a bacterial infection that is unstoppable. She is looking forward to dying and gets frustrated when people that are younger than her get to move on and she is still here.  Yet, she keeps on smiling and won't let others do anything that she is capable of, because she fiercely treasures her independence. These elderly women are inspiring to me, and I hope I can grow up to be just like them!  It was a great day!

3 comments:

  1. Yup, old people are funny and wise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. touching story and comical picture. I would caption it somthing to the effect of, take those glasses off and you might be able to see something.

    Scott

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love little old ladies...most of the time. What a nice way to spend a day!

    ReplyDelete